Château de La Rivière (AOC Fronsac)
The Grand Vin of the Château de La Rivière is a blend of the best vines situated at the top of the limestone plateau and on the slope (limestone & clay). The Merlot is the dominant grape (84%), we also grow Cabernet Franc (8%), Cabernet Sauvignon (6%) and Malbec (2%).
The picking is done by hand, in small crates, followed by a careful sorting after destemming. The grapes are always picked at the best maturity. The vinification happens in wooden and stainless steel conical tanks. The tanks are filled by gravity. The alcoholic fermentation and the maceration process last 4 weeks and the tanks are temperature controlled. The wine ages 15 months in new oak barrels (40% of the production) where the malolactic fermentation happens and 12 months in barrels which have been used once previously (60% of the production).
ARIA (AOC Fronsac)
Like an opera ARIA, which is the most expressive moment of a melody, the cuvee ARIA is the quintessence of the Château de La Rivière. From 2000 to 2012, we have produced 15 000 bottles every year. The Aria is a blend of Merlot (76%), Cabernet Franc (8%), Cabernet Sauvignon (12%) and Malbec (4%).
The harvest is done by hand, in small crates, followed by a careful sorting after destemming. The vinification happens in wooden conical tanks which are filled by gravity. The wine is produced from a “saignée” (20%) and a soft maceration which last 6 weeks. The Aria ages 18 months in 100% new oak barrels.
Les Sources de Château de La Rivière (AOC Fronsac)
Second label of the property, Les Sources du Château de La Rivière is a blend of vines situated on the limestone plateau and on the slope (limestone & clay). This wine is a blend of 90% merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon picked in the best condition, sorted before and after destemming. The wine is vinified in stainless steel tanks which are filled by gravity.
For half of the production, we do a hot maceration before the alcoholic fermentation, followed by the alcoholic fermentation at a temperature of 20-22°C in order to preserve the freshness of fruits aromas.
100 000 bottles are produced every year.
The red ruby color of the wine offers us a very expressive nose with raspberry and blackcurrant aromas. Some menthol notes brings freshness and vitality. Small stewed red fruits dominates the mouth. The attack is smooth, the texture is velvet and the tannins are delicate.
Le Blanc de Château de La Rivière (AOC Bordeaux Blanc)
This wine is a blend of 66% Sauvignon Blanc and 34% Sauvignon Gris which gives the roundness to the wine. We produce 5600 bottles a year which are a blend of plots situated down the slope where the soil is mostly made from gravel and sand. The grapes are picked by hand and pressed with the stemm at cold temperature (3°C). We keep the juices at cold temperature to let the must settle before the alcoholic fermentation starts at 18°C. 10% of the alcoholic fermentation happens in new oak barrels. After the alcoholic fermentation, 90% of the production ages 4 months in the stainless steel tanks on their lies and the other 10% ages in barrels where we stir the lees regularly.
The nose is rich & expressive with plum, citrus, tropical fruits and flower notes. In mouth, the attack is very vivid with a lovely unctuousness which comes from the Sauvignon Gris.
Le Rosé de Château de La Rivière (AOC Bordeaux Rosé)
Our Rosé is a blend of 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. The juices are obtained by direct pressing with a vilification at cold temperature. The wine is aged in stainless steel tanks for 3 months and we produce 19 000 bottles.
The color is limpid and elegant with subtle fruit and flower aromas.
Le Lion de La Rivière (AOC Bordeaux Rosé)
25% Cabernet Sauvignon
For this pressed rosé, made from more aromatic juice during pressing. Its name comes from the Lion on our coat of arms...
The Lion of the River ... why the Lion ... ? It is present everywhere on the property, statutes, coat of arms, it is an important element of the identity, strength and power of the Château de la Rivière..
"Elegance is the key word for this pressed rosé made from Merlot (75%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (25%). The colour is a very light pink. The aromas are fine and evoke pineapple, tangerine and pink grapefruit but also violet. The palate is very present and suggests a hillside terroir that the mouth never tires of savouring."